Thursday, December 8, 2011

What I get out of philosophy (specifically Plato)

So, I'm doing this paper about Plato and trying my best to adequately explain his theory of the Forms to such a degree as to receive an A on my paper and I realized, my cat serves as the perfect example with which to demonstrate said theory.  My kitten, lets call her Olive (cause that's her name), partakes in the Form of cuteness.  Now Olive herself is not Cuteness because she of completely different substance than that of a baby chicken which also partakes in the Form of cuteness.  Also, Olive cannot be the Form of cuteness itself because she also partakes of many other Forms such as whiteness, kittenness, and claw-the-shit-out-of-my-handness.  Some Forms are necessary for other Forms to be present, for example, Olive must necessarily partake in both cuteness and claw-the-shit-out-of-my-handness at the same time.  If she partook in the later without partaking in the former, she would get kicked out of the house because no one would have efficient cause to put up with her shit.  Therefore, when Olive stops partaking in the Form of cuteness (as she grows older), she will also cease to partake in claw-the-shit-out-of-my-handness.

Olive partaking in the Form of Get-in-between-me-and-Jon-Stewartness

No comments: