Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day Eighteen: Title

The name of my blog "Prone to Wander" comes from a Hymn called "Come thou Fount".  This links to the full lyrics and an audio loop of the melody. 

I heard this song in chapel while attending Greenville and for the rest of the year I would get this one small section of the song stuck in my head, "Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love"  I could never remember the first part of the song or even how the melody went.  It took me quite a while to figure out what song it was from.  Since then, it has become one of my favorite songs and I thought it was an appropriate expression of my wandering mind. 

Hymns have always been a powerful tool for me.  There was a point in my life when I started to realize that almost all of the Catholic Hymns I loved growing up were almost word for word taken out of the bible.  I discovered during a bible study that I knew Matthew 11:28-30 by heart because someone had put it to music.  Often times its hard for me to remember or even care about whats written in the bible but hymns always have a way of speaking to me on a deeper level.  Music has a way of moving one's emotions. 

So this title is something that, I think, expresses me fully.  It not only labels me as someone who is prone to wander, but it speaks to my love of music and singing.  Also, this being an older hymn, it speaks to my respect for tradition. 

And that is why I picked it. 

Angela

No comments: