Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day Nine: My Limited Knowledge

I'd just like to say, I don't know that much about St. Patrick's day.  It's the day when everyone wears green (check) and when you get older, it's the day everyone wears green and gets drunk.  I'm pretty sure I've only done that once.  I was spending spring break at the residence of my heterosexual life mate, Miss Riedelsperger, and Runyon came over and got drunk with us.  It was fun times. 

I probably have some repressed childhood memory of being told the story of St. Patrick because I used to be Catholic after all.... and Irish.  Although, I'm still at least partially Irish as far as I know.  It's probably not so much repressed as fallen victim to my horrible memory.  Either way, I don't remember what he's all about.  If I use my superior skills of deduction, I can tell you that he is a Saint.... and most likely Catholic because Protestants don't really have a tradition of sainting people they have scientifically proven to be holier than the general population.  They also don't have a habit of naming their kids "Saint" so we can rule that out. 

That concludes the extent of my knowledge about St. Patrick.  I suppose I could take about 10 minutes to find out, but that would take all the fun out of explaining how little I know.  I don't want to give off the false impression that I'm an expert on every subject.  I know that comes as a huge blow to many of you who think I'm some sort of walking encyclopedia.  You are wrong.  I am not. 

Speaking of saints, one of my favorite saints is Thomas Aquinas.  He's the patron saint of scholars.  Besides his last name sounds really cool.  I think people like to believe their motives are pure and reasonable, but I'm pretty sure we are often swayed by cool names and a nicely turned phrase (however meaningless it may be). 

Anyway... Happy St. Patrick's day.  Maybe I'll go learn about it now. 

Angela

No comments: