Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day Thirtysix: Impasse

As I've mentioned before, I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Brothers lately.  I'm usually able to make decent progress when I play especially with the handy "save state" feature in the programs menu.  However, I have come to an impasse.  I am trapped in a cave on chocolate island 4.  This is cruel and unusual; chocolate has always been so good to me but this particular chocolate cave is completely merciless. 

In the scene pictured left, Mario and Yoshi must together navigate the moving pieces of dirt over a sea of what I can only assume is deadly boiling chocolate.  But as you can clearly see in this picture, the screen is not big enough to see the moving pieces of dirt that Mario needs to jump to.  He has fallen to his death many times from blindly jumping down and hoping for some dumb luck, but has so far been unsuccessful as indicated by the second picture taken only moments after falling to his death. 

Unsuccessful attempt
It is unclear what kind of backhanded villainy is going on here, but this WILL NOT STAND!  Okay, maybe it will stand because there's really nothing I can do, but I'm not very happy about it.  I expect a certain level of difficulty from games, but this is just ridiculous.  It's like trying to find your way through a maze with a blindfold.  Sure, it might be possible but there's very little skill involved. 

Although I will say writing this blog about it has helped me a bit.  Taking the pictures caused me think about it long enough to realize that if I had a cape, I will have a better chance of landing on the moving piece of ground because I can fall slower.  I should write a blog about every problem I have.

Angela

[Update: SUCCESS!]

No comments: